Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day with my Silhouette

Happy Mother's Day. I was looking for some quick cards to get in the mail this week so I turned to the Silhouette that Sal gave me for Christmas. I love it and, for the most part, it makes for quick and easy cardmaking, despite the learning curve. But, not this time. The cards I am sharing today took hours and maybe a dozen pieces of cardstock before i got the lacy pattern to cut correctly on my machine. I quickly came to realize that a clean cut is all about getting the settings right. And, with three numbers to play with (and the pre-set combination failing for this intricate cut) it took A LOT of tries. (For those who are interested, the setting that finally worked for me was 2/33/4 -- Double Cut.) Here is the card I made for my Godmother:

My card was inspired by this card on the Silhouette blog. It was a free cut of the week, so I guess that makes up for all the cardstock I wasted. LOL! I created the watercolor background using Tim Holtz distress inks and watercolor paper. There is something about this technique that makes me feel like an artist! The sticker is from a Simon Says Stamp card kit that I am trying to use up.

Once I got the cut right, I thought I would make a card for my mother. This time, I was inspired by the colors in Basic Grey's Highline collection. This may just be my new favorite color combination! Here's the card:


I will be sharing more of my Silhouette creations in the coming weeks.

Supplies
Cardstock: American Crafts; Tim Holtz watercolor paper;
Silhouette Cut: 59440
Blue Card
Ink: Tim Holtz distress ink (Salty Ocean; Broken China; Squeezed Lemonade);
Embellishments: Basic Grey candy buttons; Lawn Fawn Sticker (Daphne's Closet).

Pink Card: 
Ink: Tim Holtz distress ink (Picked Raspberry; Ripe Persimmon; Squeezed Lemonade); Color Box Frost White; American Crafts pen;
Stamp: Papertrey Ink (Four Square);
Embellishments: American Crafts banner sticker (DIY Shop); My Mind's Eye enamel dots.


13 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and WOW! Your card is absolutely stunning!!! I LOVE IT! The colors are gorgeous as it the die cut. TFS :)

Bonjourscrap said...

Those cards are really pretty !

Johanna said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing the cut specs!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Thank you for the heads up about the cut on this card, Linda. I downloaded it and wanted to give it a try. Love how these turned out!

Madeline said...

Those are gorgeous! Worth all the tries in my opinion!

Vanessa said...

Love the water color. Very pretty!

Dictionary said...

Those are some amazing cards, love the watercolor tones.

Unknown said...

Wonderful cards!

Scrapthology said...

These are gorgeous.

Lisa Echerd said...

These are gorgeous! I downloaded that file so thanks so much for the ideas!

Emily Adams said...

Gorgeous cards!!

Susanne said...

Oooo and aaah!

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, Linda, I'm sorry I missed this post before. My inbox gets pretty overcrowded sometimes. These are two beautiful cards! Nice work with the Silhouette. I don't have one and don't know where I'd put it if I did, but I sure see fabulous things done with it. Love the colors on both of these!